ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN CASE OF FIRE IN ENGINE ROOM
When traveling on a ship or working, fire fighting appliances are the first thing that should be available, and an engine fire is one of the last things you need and want to deal with in the sea as few fires start in the area of the ship that affects the ship’s ability to move or work any further. An engine fire can destroy the ship. And engine room fire can be the reason for the crew and passengers casualties. Most fires on ships start with the engine room.
Any fire on board is horrible, but fire-fighting appliances can easily handle the worst case. Unless the fire can be quickly put out, there is a considerable risk of spreading and gaining momentum very fast, becoming a threat to those aboard on ship and the cargo, so it becomes necessary for all the ships to have fire fighting appliances ready to deal with any unwanted situation. In addition, by successfully managing the fire and quickly preventing significant damage to the crew, the fire can spread.
WHAT CAN CAUSE ENGINE ROOM FIRES AND THE USE OF FIRE FIGHTING APPLIANCES
Fire is a constant risk in the sea and one of the worst things to your ship. Severe fire can emerge because of the failure to identify potential fire hazards. It is widely accepted that the best thing for fire prevention is to have the best crew and fire fighting appliances. Unfortunately, there are many types of flammable liquids present on the ship’s engine room for different purposes with poor maintenance, and lack of safety concern can result in a massive fire.
A significant engine room fire is a nightmare to anyone. Fire in the engine room stops the ship’s working and leads to the worst situation, resulting in damage or collision to rock or ground. Fire fighting appliances help to cope up with any risking situation. It is essential to have good maintenance to reduce any fire risk in the engine room or overall ship.
HEAT SOURCES TO START FIRE IN THE ENGINE
- Hot, exhausted pipes
- Engine surfaces
- Bearings of rotatory machinery heat up.
- Defunct electric equipment
Fire fighting appliances are one of the first things that come to mind during emergency cases. Electric installations will always represent a specific type of spark and fire; using quality safety devices helps to reduce the risk. The main reason engine rooms and other areas of the ships are of steel is to limit the spread of fire on the ship. If there is a fire eruption in the engine room, the possibilities are that the fire may not readily spread to accommodation, and cargo area, etc.
TYPES OF FIRE FIGHTING APPLIANCES USED FOR FIRE IN THE ENGINE ROOM:
The ship’s crew should stay attentive for any accident and fire onboard the vessel and have the standard fire fighting appliances to deal with any emergency.
The use of the following equipment is explicitly for a kind of fire eruption in the ship’s engine room:
- Hand-held fire extinguisher
- A large capacity extinguisher
- Fire pumps
- Fire hoses
- The fixed fire extinguisher system
THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF IN THE ENGINE ROOM
The first thing that comes to mind when talking about the fire in the engine rooms is the Fire Fighting Appliances that can handle the fire situation on the ship. But before using the fire fighting appliances, it is essential to keep in mind the important points to handle any emergency.
- A high level of cleanliness is a must for engine rooms as they are crucial for fire prevention.
- No oil and oily rags should be near any heat source, such as boilers or engine exhaust systems.
- Store the spare part items in a fire-prone area.
- Discard all the combustible material, and any outdated equipment may help the fire spread more rapidly.
- Tanks, tops, and bilges should be appropriately cleaned and hosed down frequently.
The heat sources that are most likely the reason for fire erupting in the engine room are hot the exhausting pipes and engine surfaces. Fire fighting appliances help to cope up with these emergencies. Pay particular focus to possible fire risks during any repair afterward. The first step is to seal the engine room where fire has erupted and ensure it is airtight. Don’t let the oxygen in because it can lead to more fire. Should have instant access to the fire fighting appliances.
ITEMS THAT REQUIRE ATTENTION TO KEEP ENGINE ROOM SAFE FROM FIRE ALONG WITH FIRE FIGHTING APPLIANCES
- Poor maintenance and use of fire doors is also a significant concern.
- The fixed self-closing valves on the oil tank won’t close in case of fire in the engine room.
- In operational of fuel pipe quick closing prevent it from performing its function.
- Oil soaked pipes thermal insulation.
- Fire dampers and shutters are inoperative—no clear marking of fire escape routes and exits.
- No accessibility to fire fighting appliances around the fire eruption area.
- Inoperational condition of breathing devices for emergency escape.
Fires on ships require a lot of effort to deal with the emergency situation quickly. It put all everyone on board in a life-threatening situation and present extreme danger to the ship as well. The fire fighting appliances should be accessible to fire areas. Engine room fires are challenging due to the confined spaces and the abundance of fire eruption elements like fuel, heat, and air. The main sources of fire in the engine room are usually hot pipes, boilers, and indicator valves of the engine on the ship which casus the fire eruption. Therefore, it is a must for every ship to have fire-fighting appliances in every area.
STEPS TO FOLLOW IN CASE OF FIRE ERUPTION IN THE ROOM BEFORE USING FIRE FIGHTING APPLIANCES
- Raise the alarm, and a crew member will know the location of the fire eruption.
- Notify the bridge team and have a constant connection.
- Reduce the speed of the ship and stop the main engine.
- Close all the ventilation, watertight, and fire doors
- Isolate the all-electric unit and commence the boundary cooling.
- Firefighters to be fully equipped with the fire fighting appliances.
- The crew should wear protective gear before entering the fire space with all the necessary fire fighting appliances.
- Make sure to leave nobody inside the engine room.
- Stop the air conditioning units.
Fremont offers fantastic services to handle any emergency with all the fire fighting appliances and other techniques. With high quality with the best equipment to deal with fire accidents or other mishaps. Fremont fire fighting appliances provide an alarm system as well as to handle horrible situations. Fremont offers you the best machines and well-trained workers to deal with sudden fire eruptions to keep passengers and cargo safe from emergencies. Fremont emergency teams make sure to provide the best services.
Our emergency team makes sure to provide the best marine services. Life jackets, immersion suits, and chemical suits are also provided to keep the process smooth.
Further services include:
Load Testing Service
Safety Equipment Supply